Well, okay, that might be going too far; Scott Boras is clearly always going to be a greedy soul-sucking demon who takes the fun out of baseball and probably literally takes candy from children, and that’s not going to change.
But after all the months and months of piling on Boras for his insane salary ideas for Manny in the face of a horrible economy, complete lack of suitors, and Manny’s age and questionable history, we have somehow reached the point where Boras isn’t even public enemy #1 in the eyes of Dodger fans right now: it’s Frank McCourt. And believe me, I do not enjoy saying that. I’m a Dodger fan first and foremost, and I don’t get paid to write this blog – I do it out of love. Despite not even growing up in Los Angeles, this is the team I’ve followed since I was seven years old, and I want nothing more than to see them win a title for the first time since, well, I was seven years old. So when Scott Boras - after all of the vitriol directed towards him – is no longer the main bad guy in this tragicomedy, because McCourt has now assumed that role? Well, you know you’re doing something wrong.
Because, after all of the “he said, she said” back and forth and this latest imbroglio over deferred money, we entered the day thinking that the sides were steadfast. The Dodgers were willing to offer two years and $45 million, with more than half deferred, while Boras noted that he would accept a two year $45 million deal if none of the money were deferred – which would still be a huge win for the Dodgers, considering that for months Boras refused to come down off of four years and $108 million.
Except that today, we learn from multiple sources that Boras and Manny have announced they’ll compromise even further and accept deferred money. Diamond Leung has it:
Manny Ramirez is speaking out, and he’s willing to “compromise” and accept deferred payments in a contract to re-sign with the Dodgers, agent Scott Boras said in a statement Sunday.
Boras said Ramirez directed him to make the Dodgers a third two-year contract proposal “with some deferred compensation,” placing the value of the contract at $43.5 million. The second-year player option was not specified in the statement, but was something Boras wanted included in previous two-year offers.
Ramirez apparently now wants a contract in between the two-year, $45 million contract without deferrals that Boras proposed on Friday and the team’s two-year, $45 million offer with deferrals that Boras values at $42 million.
Sounds like Manny’s trying to meet in the middle, no? In fact, as Jon Heyman puts it:
According to the email, the Dodgers, who offered a $45 million contract with a value of $42 million, have yet to respond. It appears the sides are now about $1.5 million apart in their offers.
Anyone want to explain to me what the hold up is? As I said on Friday, you’ve won, Mr. McCourt. You’ve beaten mega-agent Scott Boras. Is there any need to try to trounce him? It may be that you just personally dislike him – and believe me, I don’t begrudge you that – but this has gone on long enough. This is an offer you should be jumping on, and if the sides are this close and it doesn’t get done, believe me when I say that you will be the one bearing the brunt of public blame. Considering that we’re talking about, in your opposition, a man who is made of pure evil and has been laughing away $20m+ offers while millions are out of work, that’s really saying something.
Do it, Frank. Now.
Oh, and just in case anyone’s forgotten how much this team needs Manny… Juan Pierre is 0-for-the-spring so far. But hey, at least he got thrown out stealing today.